The countless rituals and ceremonies can make planning an Indian wedding a daunting task. But working with an experienced catering team and a complete wedding planning guide can make the preparation as much fun as the wedding itself!
Whether or not you have experience planning an Indian wedding, let us guide you on this amazing journey to ensure you and your guests enjoy all the customs traditional in Indian culture.
Top Indian Wedding Ideas
Grand Milwaukee Wedding Venues
Use a wedding venue tool to take a look inside more than fifty top wedding venues in Milwaukee. Consider a venue with plenty of room to celebrate your day of love with all of your family and friends. Zilli Lake & Gardens, for example, can host over 400 guests comfortably. But there is a plethora of great indoor and outdoor venues, so keep searching until you find the perfect match to your style and needs!
Informative Indian Wedding Invitations
There are lots of services and websites like Indian Wedding Card that let you choose and customize Indian wedding invitations. Include all the basic wedding information as well as anything that may come as a surprise to some guests. Guests may not know they can ship gifts to your home or bring an envelope to the wedding. And, of course, be clear about which day of your wedding they should attend.
For those guests not invited to your pre-wedding rituals, we encourage you to let them know which rituals will take place and explain why some events are reserved for an intimate group. At a minimum, share the meaning of these ceremonies:
- Pithi ceremony: Friends and family apply a paste made of turmeric, chickpea flour and rose water to the bride and groom. This is thought to help the skin glow and bring good luck.
- Mehndi: This is where the women gather to have henna designs drawn on their hands and feet, symbolizing joy and spirituality. Guests add to the upbeat atmosphere of the evening with traditional songs and dances.
Multiple Stunning Outfits
Indian wedding attire is exquisite and carefully designed with dazzling embellishments. Help guests decide what to wear by outlining traditional Indian wedding attire:
- Brides: Most will choose to wear a beautiful wedding sari or lehenga. But if your family is open to the idea, you may choose to blend Indian clothing and Western wedding attire.
- Grooms: Depending on the region of origin, a groom may wear anything from a Dhoti to a western suit. A veil with a Sehra will cover his face.
- Guests: We encourage everyone to find a couple great outfits and change between the ceremony and reception. Ladies will want to think about bold and vibrant colors accented with stunning jewelry. For those who do not own a traditional sari or lengha, a shawl is the perfect pair to a striking and tasteful dress. For gentlemen, a suit and tie or kurta are appropriate.
Unique Indian Wedding Décor
For creative wedding decoration ideas that embrace your culture, visit some Indian wedding inspiration boards. Maharani Weddings and Pinterest are full of beautiful photos filled with the red, gold and orange Indian wedding color scheme.
Another great way to bring the Indian culture into any wedding venue is by incorporating Indian fabrics into your wedding décor.
Explanations of Wedding Ceremony Rituals
We encourage you to empower guests to embrace your culture and wedding rituals. Design an eloquent pamphlet or use top tools and apps to help them follow along and learn little known facts about Indian wedding ceremony practices like the following:
- Baraat (groom’s procession): The groom will arrive on a white horse and guests dance around him to the sound of the dhol. The bride and her family greet the groom, and the couple of honor exchange garlands to be worn around their necks.
- Kanya daan: The bride’s parents give away the bride, and the couple of honor circle around a small fire known as the agni.
- Saptapadi: The couple of honor takes seven steps, each with a different vow. The groom then places a red powder on the center of the bride’s forehead and a black necklace around her neck.
Festive Indian Wedding Reception
Guests will love the upbeat music, folk dancing and delicious food that fill your Indian wedding reception. Your excited guests are sure to get the party started in no time at all, but these elements will help them celebrate:
- Traditional Indian music: Check out Dhingana for over 350,000 Indian songs and wedding playlists.
- Delicious Indian Food: Contact a top Milwaukee catering company to design a custom Indian wedding menu that everyone will love. Dishes like our Pani Puri Masala with Boondi are a big hit at Indian engagement parties and weddings. And, of course, do not forget the decadent dessert station complete with cake and kulfi.
Our experienced Milwaukee catering team loves working with couples like Nayana and Arun to honor different cultures in the name of love. From finding the perfect wedding venue in Milwaukee to designing a custom Indian wedding menu, we can help you every step of the way.
To bring our meticulous attention to detail and exceptional customer service to your Indian wedding in Milwaukee, contact us online or give us a call at 262-547-9447